Saturday, October 27, 2012

So you see the way I feel it

Yesterday was my birthday, the birthday I share with my mother. It’s always a bittersweet day for me. I wrote her a poem, and to help ease my pain. I will always miss her because she is someone worth missing. To Doris Zanele Amoateng, the most beautiful person I had the privilege of loving.


When I speak of you
I tell them of dreams
The you I wish I knew
Here. Today
You were frail and I was scared
Hiding behind see-through facades
Pointless and comforting

I’m still curious
How exactly do they expect me
To live without your voice
I knew it well, the sound of love
Please don’t ask me to describe it
I’m afraid they’ll see
I might have forgotten
Let it be my secret
My private shame

“Mummy please! I love you”
As if that would keep you here
I have no way of knowing
I wasn’t there
I know you loved me
Did you?
I’ll die wondering, regretting 
It’s mine to keep, a souvenir
So they know you’re missed

I walked backwards in circles for you
Maybe God would be kind
Reward my dizziness
Stop time. Take me back
I wouldn’t stay long
I’d hold your hand
Maybe if I was brave
I’d tell you we’d be fine
Without tears
You’d believe me, for my sake

Breathe deep until the air around us
Wasn’t enough to keep your heart beating
Peace would kiss your eyelids
Telling you to let go
Telling me to do the same

Miracles are for the rarest occasions
We aren’t so lucky
Do you know that I loved you?
Everything good in me
Is because you lived and loved me
Beautiful and perfect
Even your flaws glowed
I saw that, I won’t forget

1 comment: