Friday, August 10, 2012

It's black, it's white, it's racism?!


“Racisms still alive they just be concealing it.” Let us just all agree now, regardless of his crazy nature and complete arrogance Kanye West is a genius and speaks the complete truth most of the time. His lyrics more often than not are thought provoking. So I thought I’d share my little epiphany and I hope that if you disagree with me you have the humility to respect my opinions and the wisdom to realize that they are mine and you are more than welcome to have your own.

If you are in a relationship and your partner cheats on you. Even if it was completely out of character and they will never do it again. From the day they cheat till the end of the relationship the dynamics have forever changed. No matter how much you want to trust them, the doubt is still there. Are they really with friends, was that really a business trip, that tiny bit of doubt forces you to be weary without you ever intending to be, sometimes without you even noticing.

“Trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if it's broken, but you can still see the crack in that mother f#cker's reflection.” (Thank you Lady Gaga’s songwriters, because I refuse to believe she could come up with this on her own.) That’s exactly the same for me as a black person, I’m very happy building relationships with people from every race, BUT, the amount of different cases of racism in different countries all over the world has made me cautious, has lowered my expectations and has made me expect the worst more often than not.

The problem isn’t that we are different. The problem is that we refuse to admit that we are different. If we don’t profess, except and embrace our differences then there is never a reason for people to be understanding and accepting towards one another. Till you do we’ve condemned ourselves to a polite (at best) existence.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I want to trust soooo bad but I'm always weary and second guessing every comment and every gesture or action anyone from another race makes to me.
    We are different. And different isn't bad. Learning to accept the differences is key.

    ReplyDelete